Saturday, May 17, 2008

I love you Grandma!!!

I know it has been a while since my last post but I feel like my life has been a little out of control in the last month and a half. With Andrew's graduation and getting accepted to grad school, me quiting my job to take care of my grandma things have been a little crazy lately. But a week ago on Wednesday my life turned upside down when my Grandma Barber passed away. She was an incredible lady who never wavered in her faith. I feel incredibly blessed to have spent my time with her these last few weeks. I will miss sitting on the edge of her bed and talking with her about the days events and what we had planned, getting to eat breakfast with her in the morning ( her favorite was Cinnamon Toast Crunch with sliced bananas over it) and looking over the newspaper. I will never forget her love of nature as she would stare out the window and look at the birds, trees, or her magnolias. (She was very upset that they froze this year.)



This is a picture of us at my wedding and the one above was taken at Thanksgiving



I loved to see her smile everyday and I will miss hearing her voice. My grandma has taught me many things in my life and come up with same great sayings in the process. Here are a few things she said and taught: To make sure the snake door is closed, that the front seat in the DEATH SEAT!!!, don't wear your hair in your eyes it will make you go blind, black licorice is the fix all for any type of ailment, sing all the time and hum even if you don't know the words, talk to the birds, not to wear clunky shoes (women should have feminine strappy ones), as long as your feet are under my table you do as I say, now hear me out!, sometimes I don't like you very much, Kathy, your husband is so cute!, 123...456, that family is your best friend, but I think most of all her love for the gospel and for others around her. She raised 5 children all by herself in west Kaysville and worked multiple jobs to support her sons on missions. In all the time I have know her she never complained of her circumstances and was very proud of her family. My grandma was the matriarch of an amazingly strong and tight knit family including 5 children, 20 grandchildren, and 13 great grandchildren and was a great strength to all of us.

This is a picture of my Grandma's cute little house taken by my cousin Jodie


She lived on what some refer to as BARBER ROW(my aunts and uncles all live next door to her) in west Kaysville on Angel Street and because of this my cousins and I grew up as best friends. Sometimes I wish Grandparents could stay with us forever, but having watched her slip through the veil of this life I now have realized though death stings a bit it is also peaceful and spiritual experience. I am so grateful for the knowledge I have of Heavenly Fathers eternal plan and that I will have my grandma and can be with my family forever. I know that she will always be with me and will be in my heart forever. I love you Grandma Helen and thanks for the memories I will always cherish.

Here is a link to the pictures Serina took on the day of the funeral there are some tender ones in here. http://gallery.mac.com/serinanielson#100008

2 comments:

The Busby Family said...

Hi Kathy, I'm so sorry about your grandma. She sounded like such a wonderful lady.

love,
lisa

Lindsay said...

Hey Kathy it's Lindsay. What a sweet post! You had a wonderful grandma, Im so happy I had the chance to know her. Love your blog, its so cute!