I know it has been a while since our little guy made his entrance into this big world but I have not had one free minute to sit down and blog about Easton's Birth yet and I better do it before I start to forget things...not to mention the fact that he turned one month old on Monday so I need to get going.
So this is a warning that this could be an extremely long post.
On February 17, 2010 we went to the hospital for our appointment with a pediatric surgeon to find out if the baby had Pyloric Stenosis. I went in for the ultra sound and the tech took my vitals and mentioned that my blood pressure was pretty high. I told her my blood pressure had been fine the whole pregnancy and she just went ahead with the ultra sound. She said as far as she could tell everything with Easton's stomach looked great and that the Dr. would be in to discuss the results. The Dr. came in and said the good news was that his stomach was fine but that my blood pressure was really high and that she was admitting me to the hospital for pre-eclampsia so I could be induced to have the baby. She made all these crazy phone calls to get me admitted to the hospital and added to the induction schedule for the next day. I looked at Andrew in complete shock and then the realization set in and I wanted to cry because I had nothing ready...I didn't even have a bag packed. I didn't believe what I had just heard so I looked her in the eye and asked what are the chances this baby is going to be here tomorrow and she told us there was 100% chance that the baby would be born the next day because she was positive that the blood pressure would not come down. It was like the issue with the baby was pushed to the back burner and didn't even
exist anymore.
Before I knew it I was up in a hospital bed being hooked up to all kinds of monitors and other stuff. We called our parents to let them know what was going on and they were just as surprised as we were. They monitored my blood pressure for 24 hours and it started to come back down. By this point we had become so used to the idea of coming home with the baby that I was disappointed when they said they were sending me home. Secretly I was hoping they were going to induce me on the morning of the 18Th. It would have been a great day to have a baby-it was Andrew's Birthday...how awesome would it have been for them to share a birthday, my best friend out here in Orlando was having her baby that day as well...our little boys could have shared a birthday, plus that Dr. was so certain that I would be having the baby no matter what. I was way bummed!!!
They told me to follow up with my OB/GYN the next day (so we are now to Friday) and when I got there the next morning they took my blood pressure and it was high again. He told me he was really sorry but that I was going to have to go back to the hospital to run more tests and if they did not come out good they would induce me. So I called my mom again and told her to start looking for a flight because it looked like this little boy was coming. I got to the triage and the nurse was majorly rude and got mad at me because she could not read my Dr's handwriting. She also asked me what I was doing there if I had just been discharged the day before. I wanted to say,"Look Lady! I didn't choose to come here...I was sent here by my Dr. because he thinks something is wrong so fix your attitude." BUT-I didn't because I was too afraid to say anything. They monitored the baby and all the tests came back fine and they put me on complete bed rest...so after another day at the ER ...with a terrible nurse who woke up on the wrong side of the bed...I was sadly going home again without a baby.
My Dr. told me to have my blood pressure taken everyday so I had a friend in the ward take it the next day (Saturday) and it was the highest it had ever been so I called the Dr. and they told me to go straight to the hospital because I was at a risk for seizure or stroke...WHAT!!!! This totally freaked me out and I got really scared. I wanted to cry because I didn't want to go back there after the terrible experience I had the day before. So at 11 o'clock at night we made the 30 minute drive back to Winnie Palmer. As I was going back to my room I heard a nurse say
angrily to another nurse that she didn't have time for another patient and I thought to myself, "Are you serious there is nobody here...I sure hope she isn't my nurse." Guess I spoke to soon because she was the one who came strolling through the door...lucky me! They took my blood pressure and it was all over the place high...then low...then high again. She didn't seem very
worried about it at all but obviously the my Dr.'s office was because they kept sending me back to the Er and by this point I was getting worried for the babies health. I asked to see the Dr.
who was on call for my practice and she got so offended and stormed out of the room. The on call Dr. came in and said that I was not dilated at all so they were going to send me home. I started to cry because I was so frustrated and scared that something would happen to Easton. He then said he wanted to keep me for observation so I could get some rest and keep my blood pressure down...I was so done with hospitals. I assured him that if he wanted to keep my blood pressure down he would let me go rest at home. I was told to check in with with my Dr. on
Monday. By 2 in the morning I sadly walked out the doors of the hospital sad and baby-less.
The next morning I woke up at 7AM with some cramping but it wasn't unusual because I had been contracting for a week or so. I got up to got to the bathroom and I felt a gush and looked down and my water had ruptured. I called my mom crying because I didn't want to go back to the hospital for the 5Th day in a row. She started laughing and said, "Kath, it is okay they can't send you home this time." So my mom jumped on a plane and got here at about midnight and after 23 hours of labor and 18 minutes of pushing...Easton arrived at 6:19 AM on the 22, of February. He has now been a part of our family for over a month and I don't know how we lived without him. He is the biggest blessing in our lives and I am so grateful that Heavenly Father has trusted us to raise him.

First picture with Nana
All his crazy hair
Going Home











4 comments:
OH Kathy!!!! He is so handsome. Sorry it was not to fun getting him here :) You are amazing!!! I would not be to happy with 5 visits in 5 days to the hospital either :)- then angry nurses on top of that!!!!
I'm so happy everything worked out and little Easton is here safe. He is such a cute little man!
Kathy it's been a while Gongrats! My boy is 5 months. It's a blast!!
Aubrey (asper) Blackham
Now you have Mommy stories to share! So glad you survived it all and baby is fine! Thanks for posting the update! I guess we will see you in Utah next week!
Post a Comment