Saturday, February 25, 2012

So...there was this one time, we moved to Louisiana.

To save time-I am going to make an extremely long story short. Andrew was offered an amazing opportunity and position at NSU as the director of Musical Theatre Studies. It was last minute (like Kathy is going to have an anxiety attack because this is so last minute). We prayed about it and knew that this is where our little family was supposed to be. Andrew got the job on a Tuesday and we had to be in Louisiana a week later. He and I drove out so he could be there in time for pre-semester meetings. We had three days to look for a house, scary because we couldn't really find one but Heavenly Father blessed us and we got a great place to live. I flew back to Utah and then I had a week to pack everything up before my amazing in-laws drove Diesel and all of our stuff out to LA.

So the long and short of it is we moved to Natchitoches (NAK-A-TISH)...I know, I know...the french spell things completely weird. It is a small little town and we have a Wal-mart, Chilli's, some local restaurants,...and that is about it. We are at least an hour drive both north and south to the next decent sized city and airport. The university students make up a good portion of the population and for the most part it is a fairly quiet place. Natchitoches has tons of history and is the oldest settlement in the Louisiana Purchase (They are very proud of that...so we heard it a lot when we got here.) It really is such a beautiful place and I am getting used to the seclusion. I never knew I could get so excited to see a Super Target or a Sams Club, which we get to about once a month.

Anyway-while Shawn and Barbara were out here we got to spend a few days seeing some of the gorgeous things our new home has to offer. The photographs were taken by Shawn and he did an awesome job!

This is a tree right across the street from our house. They only look this green after it rains...it is called resurrection fern because it dries up, turns brown and you can't even see it. The moment it rains the fern turns green and pops up from the bark, it never dies but just goes dormant until it rains again.

Our cute little old house.
It is very deceiving from the front because it has 12ft ceilings and 4 bedrooms

Our front yard


I believe this is Robert Harling's Home. It is one of my favorite homes, I think it is beautiful. He is the one who wrote Steel Magnolias (another thing they are very proud of here) The movie was also filmed here in Natchitoches

Another private plantation



Oakland Plantation is open for tours. It is very interesting, the home was built around 1789 and was lived in until the 1950s so you can see how they have added on over the years and the tour ends in a 1950s kitchen. When the family couldn't manage the upkeep anymore they turned it over to the government for historical preservation.

They had their own little general store, gas pumps, and even a church out on the plantation



Another view of Oakland Plantation

Beautiful boy in the summer heat

Melrose Plantation
Our dear friend Vicky belongs to a women's historical society that has purchased this plantation and all of the restoration work that has happened is through funds raised by them.

This is the Live Oak is right outside the plantation and it is so beautiful...the green once again is resurrection fern.



Some pictures of the out buildings at Melrose


This is such a cool place to go visit







This is Magnolia Plantation and the house is still privately owned but the grounds are open for tours. It is rumored to be haunted and I thinks it has been investigated by ghost hunters or something.

The cemetary at St. Augustine Church

Right in town you can walk along the cane river and go out and relax on the docks.




Lasyone's is famous for their meat pies. The Natchitoches meat pie is nationally acclaimed and a favorite in louisiana. If you have not tried one you should because they are so yummy.

Here are some other pictures that I found of the historic downtown

Front Street is one of my favorite places in town. I love walking around and looking at all the cute little shops along the river.

We live on this side of the river facing Front Street




In Natchitoches they have a ton of B&Bs and they are so gorgeous. I want to buy one and live in it.





Steel Magnolia House is where they filmed the movie...you guessed it...Steel Magnolias.

So, I guess that is the 10 cent tour and trust me, it is way better in person...so feel free to come visit! I guarantee one visit and you will fall in love with this place. I know I have and I feel so blessed to be here with my family and for Andrew's wonderful job.

3 comments:

Gretchen J'Deene said...

It does look beautiful! I love the south. So happy for you guys!

Melanie and Jake said...

What a beautiful town! We are about 6 hours from you- not too bad. Hopefully the hot humid summer doesn't kill you!

Sandi and Curtis said...

Wow Kathy! What an amazing place to live. All that history! I would love to come visit, we'll have to see if we can arrange it!