Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Meat Pie Festival

Natchitoches has a lot of festivals, like one a month, sometimes more! It was the Meat Pie Festival so we thought we would go check it out. All of the festivals happen down on the river front and there was music, people selling crafts and jewelry and of course...meat pies(and fried alligator, frog legs, and turtle soup...WHAT!!!!!) I am not gonna lie I didn't love the idea of eating a pie filled with meat, it kind of grossed me out! But, alas I decided I should give something a try and it certainly was not going to be the other foods I previously mentioned...so the meat pie it was. It was actually really good!!! We even bought another one to share. It has beef and pork inside and everyone kept saying it was kind of like an empanada but never having one of those either..I know...I know..I am not a foodie and way to FOOD sheltered, I can't really compare the two. I can say I have had one or two since (meat pies) and they are delish!

After some shopping and some eating, a few of Andrew's theatre students were doing a presentation on the history of the Natchitoches meat pie, so we walked over to the arts center and watched their program. It was a really fun evening and it really helped me see the advantages of a small town and its wonderful traditions.

This is the view looking across the river at the Log Cabin Guest House. It is a cute little B&B on Cane River Lake.
I told Easton to smile, this is what I got! I love my goofy boy.

The little monkey went through a phase where he had to eat with his blanket tucked up right behind him. What a weirdo!

One afternoon I came into the Living room after throwing in a load of laundry to find this...so sweet! I love these two boys more than words can say and I feel so blessed to have them in my life.

1 comments:

Sandi and Curtis said...

When we lived in San Manuel, AZ there was a lady who always made these meat pies! Fabulous! Cute photo of the boys!