Saturday, May 23, 2009

Space Shuttle Launch

The first shuttle launch I saw was last November...we live about 45 miles from the Kennedy Space Center ...so we are able to get a decent view from our house. The space shuttle program is ending so ever since then I have wanted to drive out to Titusville and see one up close. It just so happened that a launch was scheduled when my family was here so we drove out to Space View Park to see The Discovery Shuttle Launch. I know that was over a month ago but I wanted to post this video for my family because they have not seen it yet. Space View Park is about 12 miles away from the launch site and the closest you can get without buying a ticket to go out to the NASA causeway (which I hope to do one day). You have to get there very early not to get stuck in traffic and get a decent spot...so we made a whole day of it and packed a picnic and some games. Our friends Josh and Debbie met us out there, the weather was great and it was a ton of fun. By the time the shuttle was supposed to launch there were thousands of people around us. I think seeing a space shuttle launch is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen or will see in my life...and know this is totally Geeky...but I was so proud to be an American. It was so much better in person and the video doesn't even do it justice. ANYWAY-enough of me blabbering on and on...here is the video. It is kinda longish but it goes through the countdown, rocket booster separation, and negative return. If you listen really carefully you can hear the live feed from NASA in the background.

3 comments:

Morgan said...

so SO SO jealous:)

The Busby Family said...

That looked awesome, Lincoln loved watching it! How fun!

Talitha said...

Wow, that is so cool, what an experience :)